This sauce claims to be a failsafe cheese substitute. I did have to make some minor alterations from the original recipe to have it fit under the strict elimination diet and no potato because I think it makes me bloat. However it still turned out really well! But it still doesn’t really taste like cheese to me. I have since done the original sauce recipe and it doesn’t look as good as the one on their site unfortunately because my stick blender was broken and I had to use the normal blender. That said even though it doesn’t taste like cheese to me, it still tastes amazing and packs a flavour punch! I used it once to make a sauce for my stir fried chicken and when it started to dry out it tasted so good! So I am not going to call it a cheese sauce, rather a white sauce.
White Sauce (Strict eliminination diet version, no potato)
Gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, nut free, vegan, failsafe
- 1 can of cannelini beans
- 1 bunch of spring onions (the whites, chopped)
- 100g raw cashews
- 500ml water
- 20ml “lemon” juice (4 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 3/4 teaspoon citric acid)
- 60g celery
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Chop up the celery and spring onions and place them in a pot with all the other ingredients.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and cook the veggies till soft.
- Once soft, take it off the heat and let it cool a bit before using a stick mixer (or blender/food processor) to blend to a smooth consistency.
- Place in the fridge, or freeze smaller portions to keep longer.
I’ve used this sauce for stir fries, stew like concoctions and some people have said to use it for like pasta bake and things like that. The possibilities are endless.