I was trying to find a way to have whipped cream to make trifle but I could only use rice milk because of my sensitivity to soy and salicylates. I found a recipe on wakingupvegan.com. However, I think due to lack of proteins and fat it never made a stiff whipped cream that dairy cream or coconut cream could made. The consistency of this “cream” was more like double cream, very pourable. It still sort of worked and for the purposes of the trifle, it sufficed. So here is the recipe!
Rice milk whipped cream
Gluten free, soy free, egg free, dairy free, nut free, vegan, failsafe
- 1/2 cup of rice milk
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of xantham gum
- For this I think a stick mixer is probably the best way to do this as it is a similar principle as the mayonnaise. Find a container that is thin and the stick mixer can fit at the bottom an extra centimeter or two to move around.
- Place all ingredients in the container and use the stick mixer to whiz it up. Make sure to move the stick mixer around to make sure you get a complete emulsion of the oil and the water based ingredients.
- Keep whipping till the required consistency, which was around double cream for me. If it gets hot place it in a larger bowl of ice or ice water as heat will split your cream.
- Once done chill it in the fridge till you are ready.