It seems difficult to find gluten free puffed rice, does any one else have that issue too? I also found that it actually is quite expensive to buy so I decided to check if it was feasible to make it yourself. I found some people do it on Youtube and it’s pretty easy but it is an oilier version of the store bought product. Pretty much it involves using leftover rice, dehydrating it and then frying it into puffs. It’s does take a little time but it is super easy!
Gluten free, soy free, dairy free, nut free, egg free, vegan, failsafe
- Cooked rice (any amount)
- Cook up some rice. Preferably, use day old rice as it is a little dryer. Just don’t use very starchy rices like araborio or sushi rice.
- Spread it out on a tray to dry over 1-2 days, or place in an oven on very low heat till they are dry.
- Separate the rice into separate grains.
- Heat up some oil (I used coconut this time which is not failsafe but you can really could use anything).
- To test if the oil is hot enough, place a grain of rice in the oil and check if it bubbles around it. If it does then you are ready to go.
- Place a handful of rice into the hot oil and watch them puff up almost immediately. Quickly scoop out the rice with a metal sieve or slotted utensil of some sort and drain on kitchen paper.
- Repeat till all the rice is done.
- Leave it to cool and the end product will be super crispy, puffed rice!